Assistive Technology Specialist
TCSAccess, a team dedicated to the advancement of equal access and empowerment of persons with disabilities through the provision of tools and solutions aimed at fostering independence and productivity, is looking for a motivated, organized, enthusiastic entry level Assistive Technology Specialist (ATS) to join our fast growing team. The position is an excellent opportunity for persons with technical backgrounds interested in applying their skills to the growing field of technology and disability. The candidate will provide support to TCSA’s existing service providers for our clients located in the Washington DC metro area with availability to travel to client sites nationally.
The successful candidate must have strong written and verbal communication and Information Technology (IT) skills, some experience training persons to use software either one on one or in a group and an ability to learn best practices in accessibility regarding documents, applications and web sites. They must be skilled with the Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint), PC and Apple computer systems and possess a desire to keep pace with changes within the fields of AT and IT. Self-starters with an ability to learn new technologies quickly, the passion and patience to teach others and the flexibility to adjust to client requirements are well suited for this challenging position. Additionally, the candidate must have strong verbal and written communication skills and can communicate with diverse audiences in the public and private sectors and an ability to work independently and in a team environment. Persons from related fields who are methodical, person-centered and technical are encouraged to apply.
The primary role of the ATS-entry level is to provide assistance to existing ATS staff in the performance of assessments, training, support, installation and configuration services for customers who are using AT in a variety of environments (home, school and work). Other duties may involve participation in TCSAccess document and web accessibility services. Work will be performed both independently and as a member of the AT Services team.
- Training persons with disabilities to use AT hardware and software on a variety of platforms to include: PC, Android, and Apple in one on one and group settings both in person and remotely
- Installing, configuring, troubleshooting on a variety of AT products including screen reading, screen magnification and other technologies on PCs, Macs and smart devices
- Assessing/troubleshoot a client’s equipment in person and remotely and either fixing any issues they are experiencing on the spot or make timely and effective recommendations to remediate the issue/s
- Assessing client’s current skill level regarding their AT and computer acumen, adapting training lessons and materials accordingly and making recommendations for equipment (AT or IT) or additional training needed
- Creating training outlines and accessible reference materials for clients
- Participating in and assisting in development/upgrading of services regarding document, application and web site accessibility
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
- A “people person” who is a confident, articulate public speaker and can communicate verbally and in writing the purpose and results of the service they are providing to wide varying audiences
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in computer science or engineering, information technology, information systems, special education or education may be well suited for this position
- Minimum two years work experience in one of the above fields
- The ideal candidate will have some experience training, installing, configuring and troubleshooting in a variety of computing environments
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- U.S. Citizenship with the ability to obtain a Federal security clearance within 60 days of employment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently to meet assigned task requirements
- Flexible and open-minded interpersonal skills
- Strong analytic skills and attention to detail
- Excellent customer service skills
- Must be able to travel independently
- Must be available to travel nationwide up to 50% of the time